I’ve always struggled with holiday gift giving, especially for the fellas and for me there’s something very impersonal about copping out with the obvious gift card.
Wasn’t life much simpler (and much cheaper) when you could just glue legumes and dry pasta on colored construction paper and say “Merry Christmas”?
For those of us who have graduated from the oh-so loved cotton ball Santa Claus, but still appreciate the sentiment of a handcrafted gift, here’s an easy DIY idea for the dads, brothers, or bearded baes in your life.
This is all you’ll need:
Carnauba Wax (can substitute with Beeswax if not vegan)
Essential Oils (optional for fragrance)
Glass jar or tin container
The best part about this is, the oil options and combinations are limitless so your gift can be totally customized.
This is what I used:
3 oz. Carnauba Wax
4 oz. Shea Butter
3 oz. Shea Butter
1 oz. Sweet Almond Oil
1 oz. Ho-Ho-Jojoba Oil (sorry y’all, I couldn’t resist that one)
1. Create a double boiler by filling a pot with water, bringing it to a boil, and placing a mixing bowl (preferably stainless steel or something that will not melt or brake at high temperatures).
2. Once the water begins to boil, reduce to a low heat.
3. Place the wax into the bowl and use a whisk to mix it as it begins to belt.
4. Once the wax has started to liquefy, place the remaining ingredients into the bowl and continue mixing.
5. After the mixture is completely liquefied, immediately transfer it to into your containers.
6. Allow it to harden at room temperature.
…and ladies, the best part about this is, the wax is a base ingredient found in many lip balms and edge controls. So you can also whip up some of this to keep your lips moist and your edges laid.