I LOVE plantains! They are are sweet, cheap, easy to cook with, and make a great side dish. I usually only boil or fry my plantains, but I decided to look around for some plantain recipes that were outside of the box. I came across this recipe of plantain frittata’s from Immaculate Bites. It’s vegetarian and lighter than your usual bacon and eggs if your trying to change your diet. Enjoy!
PREP TIME:10 mins
COOK TIME: 50 mins
*All photos take by Immaculate Bites
WHAT YOU NEED:
- tablespoon canola oil
- ½ medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 scotch bonnet pepper diced(sub hot sauce)
- ½ red/green bell pepper, stem, ribs, and seeds removed, then thinly sliced in strips
- 1 small tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon Fresh thyme( or any herb)
- 2-3 ripe plantains
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 6 large eggs
- 1 avocado
- ½ -1 cup sausage chopped (optional)
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 10- inch baking pan or muffin pan, set aside
- Using a sharp knife cut both ends off the plantain. This will make it easy to grab the skin of the plantains. Slit a shallow line down the long seam of the plantain, peel only as deep as the peel. Remove plantain peel by pulling it back. Slice the plantains into desired shape and size
- Place them on the baking sheets in a single layer; spray lightly over the plantains using the canola oil spray and bake, turning over slices, after 8 minutes for about 12- 20 minutes or till golden brown, depending on your oven.
- While the plantains is baking, heat a medium sauce pan over medium high heat and drizzle with 1 Tablespoons of canola oil. Add the onions, tomatoes, green pepper and cook for about 4-5 minutes.
- In a large bowl whisk eggs, add sauté vegetable mixture, season with salt and pepper according to preference.
- Pour mixture into a greased 10-inch baking pan. Layer the baked plantains and sprinkle the parsley in the baking pan.
- Bake in the oven for about 30-40 minutes; until mixture is firm in the center.
- Let it cool for a few minutes; top with avocado if desired